Subject: RE: Query, requirements for work in the road area in Estonia
From: "Romet Raun" <[email-masked]>
To: "Tuominen Jonne \(ELY\)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Egle Meelind" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:16:19 +0200

Hello,

1.	Does the Transport Administration grant permissions only on
Estonian state-owned roads?

   The Estonian Transport Administration is responsible for regulating and
overseeing transportation within Estonia, including the issuance of
various permits related to road use and construction. While it mainly
deals with state-owned roads, certain activities, especially those
impacting the broader transportation network or safety, may require
coordination or permits from the Transport Administration regardless of
ownership.

2.	Can the legal basis for granting permits on the Estonian road
network be found on the internet? If so, could you please direct me to the
appropriate website.

   Yes, the legal basis for granting permits on the Estonian road network
can be found online. The relevant laws, regulations, and guidelines are
typically published on the official website of the Estonian Transport
Administration and the Estonian Riigi Teataja, which provides access to
Estonian legislation. Websites to visit include the Estonian Transport
Administration's official site (https://www.transpordiamet.ee) and the
Riigi Teataja (https://www.riigiteataja.ee).

3.	Does the Transport Administration or some other authority publish
guidebooks on how to carry out work in the road area and how to plan
temporary traffic arrangements?

   Yes. These documents provide essential information on safety
requirements, procedural standards, and how to apply for the necessary
permits. These resources are available on our official website
(https://transpordiamet.ee/juhendid).

4.	What are the types of work being carried out on the road that the
Transport Administration issues permits for?

   The Transport Administration issues permits for various types of
roadwork, including but not limited to road construction and maintenance,
utility works (such as water, gas, and telecommunications infrastructure
installations), landscaping, and any activities that may affect the normal
use of roads or require temporary traffic arrangements.

5.	How many permits does the Transport Administration issue annually?

   The number of permits issued annually by the Transport Administration
can vary significantly based on the volume of construction activities,
infrastructure development projects, and specific needs for maintenance or
utility work.

6.	Do you have a calculation or an estimate on the percentage of
permits that require temporary traffic arrangements?

   An exact calculation or estimate would depend on the specific types of
permits issued in a given year and the nature of the projects involved.
Typically, a substantial portion of roadwork permits might require
temporary traffic arrangements to ensure safety and minimize disruptions.

7.	How is the road users' point of view taken into consideration?

   The road users' perspective is an essential consideration in planning
road works and issuing permits. The Estonian Transport Administration
ensure that public consultations are held when necessary, traffic impact
assessments are conducted, and information is provided to the public in
advance. Measures are taken to minimize inconvenience and ensure safety
for all road users, including adequate signage, alternative routes, and
clear communication on expected disruptions.

With best regards,

Romet Raun
Head of Development Department

Road Management Division
 <http://www.transpordiamet.ee/> www.transpordiamet.ee

From: Tuominen Jonne (ELY) <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2024 3:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Query, requirements for work in the road area in Estonia

Hello,

I work in Tampere, Finland for the Pirkanmaa Center for Economic
Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY-centre), which issues
permits for work carried in the road area on Finnish state owned roads.
Permits are issued for example for installing electric cables and water
pipes or for advertising a roadside business.

About this subject on this on ELY-centres website (English, under
Transport permits and licences):
https://www.ely-keskus.fi/en/web/ely-en/transport. There is more
information available on the Finnish language version of the website, if
that is something you can use: https://www.ely-keskus.fi/fi/luvat1.

I am also currently in the process of writing my Masters thesis for my
Masters degree in engineering in Häme University of Applied Sciences. The
subject of my thesis is to search for methods for making sure that similar
permit conditions are being used to permits with similar conditions, and
to implement more of the road users point of view in to the permit
handling process.

For my thesis I would also like to understand the processes of other
authorities issuing permits for work being carried out on the road. I have
already gathered information on the processes the City of Jyväskylä in
Finland uses in their permit handling processes, but an international
point of view would also be highly appreciated.

I am contacting Transpordiamet as the National authority in Estonia. I
would kindly ask for your answers on these following questions, but also a
broader explanation on your permit handling process would be of use.

1.	Does Transpordiamet grant permissions only on Estonian state owned
roads?
2.	Can the law basis for granting permits on Estonian road network be
found on the internet? If so, could you please direct me to the
appropriate website.
3.	Does Transpordiamet or some other authority publish guidebooks on
how carry out work in the road area and how to plan temporary traffic
arrangements?
4.	What are the types of work being carried out on the road, that
Transpordiamet issues permits to?
5.	How many permits are issued by Transpordiamet annually?
6.	Do you have a calculation or an estimate on the percentage of
permits, that require temporary traffic arrangements?
7.	How is the road users point of view taken into consideration?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Jonne Tuominen,

Centralized services for permits in road area,

Center for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment

Tel. (+358) 0295 020 600 (Customer service)

P.O.Box 297, FI-33101 Tampere, Finland

This message is intended exclusively for persons or groups for whom it is
intended. The message may include confidential information. If you have
received the message in error, you do not have the right to use it. In
such a case please inform the sender and delete the message from your
mailbox.